Saturday, 24 August 2013

EmBakes is back!!- Grasshopper Pie

Hello Everybody,
I am back with my EmBakes series, and I have got to be honest right now and say that I hadn't baked for quite a little while. I did bake a cake for my mum's birthday, but since then I lost the recipe, so  I didn't do a post on that. But last week my cousins came round, and I thought "I should really bake something", so I baked two things, grasshopper pie, and another surprise, which will be up next week.
Now, I know what you are probably thinking, "Why would you want a pie made of grasshoppers?"and I will be  honest and say, not only you thought that, but so did the rest of my family. Fortunately, the recipe has nothing to do with grasshoppers and is actually a very big dessert in America. The pie has a chocolate biscuit base, and green peppermint marshmallow filling and is then topped with whipped cream.

Grasshopper Pie Recipe

Ingredients

For the biscuit base
250g chocolate-flavoured biscuits
175g unsalted butter, melted
For the filling
180g large white marshmallows (I bought a big bag of marshmallows and ate all of the pink ones)
180ml whole milk
1/4 tsp peppermint essence
1/8 tsp green food colouring
700ml double cream
chocolate shavings to decorate (I didn't bother with this bit)

Method

  1. In a food processor with the blade attachment, blitz the chocolate into a fine breadcrumb. Alternatively, place in a plastic bag, seal the bag shut and crush with a rolling pin (I did this). Pour the crumbs into a bowl and add the melted butter, mixing until all the crumbs are coated and can be squeezed together.
  2. Tip the crumb mixture into the pie dish or tart tin, pressing it into the base and sides, then place in the fridge and leave for 30-40 minutes to set completely.
  3. Meanwhile, make the filling. In a saucepan over a low heat, melt the marshmallows in the milk. Remove from the heat, then add peppermint essence and food colouring and stir into the marshmallow mixture until it is evenly green in colour. Set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes.
  4. Pour 300ml of the cream into a bowl and whip into soft peaks either by hand or using a hand-held electric whisk, then fold into the marshmallow mixture. Pour the filling into the chilled biscuit base and leave in the fridge for 1-2 hours to set completely.
  5. Once set,  whip the remaining cream and spoon on the top of the pie. You can also sprinke with chocolate shavings if you wish.
I hope you enjoyed todays EmBakes post and if you have any questions don't forget to email me at emilybelleblogs@gmail.com
Toodles,
EmilyBelleBlogs x