Saturday, 17 August 2013

Just say yes!

Hello Everybody,
Before I properly start with this post, I would like to say, that I did get this idea from Zoe Sugg, mainly because this was the main reason I was inspired to start blogging in the first place. If you read blogs then you've probably already read Zoe's, but here is her blog link anyway.
It's not snowing where I am at the moment, it just reminds me of a day I said yes :)
 
Saying yes for a lot of people can be a challenge. In fact, in most people there will be something they are absolutely terrified of doing. I will be the first to admit, that even if people think I am brave, I am actually a bit of a scaredy cat. But, a lot of the so called "brave" things that I have done has come from inner strength.
Another thing that has made me say yes to things, is experience. I am not saying that I am all grown up and very wise now, because I've only been on this Earth for a good fifteen and a half years. But, there are things that I regret not saying yes to because I was too scared to try to do something that looked terrifying in the first place.
Here are two examples of my biggest regrets of saying no:
  1. When I was about ten, I went on a trip with the scouts to Switzerland, and one of the days, we did a high ropes course across a valley. It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life, and I'm sure, something that I will probably never do again. After picking up the strength to do all of the zip-wires, tight ropes and Tarzan swings, and even an abseil down to the bottom of the valley from a bridge. After this everyone was on an adrenaline high, and picked up the courage to do a pendulum swing, which is a bit like a bunji jump, except  your whole body is strapped on and it was done with a climbing rope and not a bunji cord. Anyway, everyone did it, except for me, I was too scared of the idea of plummeting towards a river filled with big boulders, and the rope snapping; even though it was exactly the same rope that I had been attached too doing all of the other things. To this day, I regret not doing it, because I often get the thought 'What if I did it, and it was the most exhillerating and fun thing I have ever done?'
  2. The next thing is more of a mixture of the same fear. The fear is of rollercoasters, which I believe is a pretty common thing, especially with girls, because boys will do it even if they are absolutely terrified to look cool. I'm not scared of rollercoasters now, even though I do sometimes get that sicky feeling whilst waiting in the awfully long queues to get on, I always look past the anxiety of something going wrong, ignore that inner voice telling me that my safety restraint is going to snap off, or the person behind me is going to vomit all over me, and I just say yes. The thing is, three years ago, when I went to Orlando, Florida, the land of some of the biggest amusement parks, I refused to go on any of the big rides, because I was letting my brain tell me that I shouldn't because it could be dangerous, rather than looking deeper down and thinking, I could actually enjoy this. It was only a few weeks after I got back that I went to Thorpe Park with some friends and was forced of Colosus, that I realised I loved the feeling of freedom once riding on the coaster.
I suppose a key thing about saying yes to things is that you will then live with a lot less regrets then you would if you had said no to every little thing that freaked you out. Obviously, you shouldn't say yes to everything because some things shouldn't be done (for example, drugs), but what I'm trying to say is, rather than wondering whether it would be fun, but still saying no to something because you are worried about a few more things then what excite you about the opportunity, you will regret it more by saying no. You will get the 'What if?' thought racing around your mind more often and will regret not doing it in the end.
So, even if you are a little bit skeptical of doing something, just say yes. What's the worst that can happen? You die? Most probably not, in fact, the worst that will probably happen is that you won't enjoy it. But, the feeling of unenjoyment is a lot smaller than the feeling of regret, and as much as I don't want to say it, yolo, you onl live once. You won't get these opportunities again, so grab them with both hand and embrace them. Stop living with regrets, and not taking risks, and try something new, just say yes.
I want to say thank you to Zoe, for making me follow that message and giving me this idea. Also, I would love to hear stories of what you have just said yes to.
Toodles,
EmilyBelleBlogs x