Saturday, 14 September 2013

EmBakes- Eton Mess

Hello Everybody,
Today, I have another EmBakes post up, although I suppose this isn't exactly classed as baking, but oh well. Anyway, a few weeks ago I was asked by my catering teacher to make a fruit dessert with a standard component. After having a flap on the Sunday night because I thought I had cooking on the Monday morning and realised that the ingredients I had bought were a for chocolate mousse that did not include a fruit, and then noticing that in my planner it said I wasn't cooking until the Thursday, I finally decided to make an Eton Mess.
For my Eton Mess I didn't actually find a recipe, I just 'winged' it really, but the end result ended up being lovely, so if you are in any rush to make a dessert one day then this is probably the recipe for you.

Emily's Eton Mess

Ingredients

A large punnet of strawberries
A 300ml carton of whipping cream
A pack of eight meringue nests
100g of dark chocolate (optional for decoration)

Method

  1. Firstly, I chopped all of the strawberries into eighths, so they were a good bite size colour because don't forget that this has to be a mess.
  2. I then put the whipping cream into a large bowl, and whipped it with an electric whisk. Make sure that when you are doing this that you do not over whip it because otherwise it will curdle, and you'll have to start again which will be a waste of cream. Only whip it until the cream is forming soft peaks.
  3. Next, gently fold in the strawberries, don't be too vigorous because the juices of the strawberries could discolour the cream and as mentioned in the step above, you do not want to over whip the cream.
  4. Finally, crumble in all of the meringues and fold into the cream mixture.
  5. If you want to decorate with the chocolate, melt in a bain marie (put the chocolate in a glass bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water). Once the chocolate is shiny and very runny in consistency, take it off of the heat.
  6. I made tapered chocolate and to do this I put some of chocolate on a pastry brush and painted strips of chocolate on to greaseproof paper. If you want you could try and pipe, by using a disposable piping bag and cutting a small snip at the tip.
  7. I then put the Eton Mess into some nice dessert bowls and topped it with the chocolate decorations.
I hope you all enjoy this little dessert, and if you have any questions don't be afraid to pop it in the comments or email me at emilybelleblogs@gmail.com.
Toodles,
EmilyBelleBlogs x