Saturday, 5 October 2013

EmBakes- Chocolate éclairs

Hello everybody,
On Monday at school I made some yummy chocolate éclairs that I was very proud of, and of course because The Great British Bake off did sweet pastry (including choux pastry) I thought today would be an appropriate day to post this recipe.
First of all, I suppose I should do a bit of explaining as to why this post has been put up so late in the day *and for that I am sorry*. Basically, I've been up at the hockey pitch all morning playing and spectating. When I got home I thought I'd have rest to recover from a bit of a nasty whack I recieved around my shin, which still bruised and turned into an egg despite wearing shin pads *by the way, this is a normal thing to happen to hockey players and I am fine, just a little sore, so don't worry*.
Then when I went onto my laptop, to blog after a quick stint on facebook, but choosing to ignore my laptop telling me to plug the chrager in wasn't such a great idea, because it died, and blogging at that point got pushed away quite suddenly. Consequently, I decided to watch last night glee episode, which I thouroughly enjoyed, and now here I am blogging *at last*.
And on to the recipe...

Ingredients:

For the choux pastry
50g diced butter
150ml water
65g sifted plain flour
2 large eggs, beaten
 
For the filling
300ml whipping cream
 
For the icing
50g plain chocolate
15g butter
2 tablespoons of water
70g sifted icing sugar

Method:

  1. Pre-heat the oven at 220'c/fan 200'c/gas 7. Lightly grease 2 baking trays.
  2. To make the choux pastry, put the butter and water into a small pan and place over a low heat. Allow the butter to melt and then slowly bring to the boil. Remove the pan from the heat, add the flour all at once and beat until the mixture forms a soft ball and leaves the side of the pan. Allow to cool slightly.
  3. Add the eggs into the mixture a little at a time, beating really well between each addition to give a smooth, shiny paste. It is easiest to use a hand-held mixer for this.
  4. Spoon the mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle.Pipe onto prepared baking trays into éclair shapes, about 13-15cm long, leaving room for them to spread. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 190'c/ 170'c fan/gas 5 and bake for a further 20 minutes, until well risen and a deep golden brown.(It is important that the éclairs are a golden brown all over. Any pale, undercooked part will become soggy once they have cooled.)
  5. Remove the éclairs from the oven and split them down one side to allow the steam to excape. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
  6. Whip to cream until it is just firm enough to pipe. Fill the cold éclairs with whipped cream, using a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle.
  7. To make the icing, break the chocolate into pieces and put into a bowl set over a pan of hot water, making sure the water does not touch the base of the bowl.Add the butter and water to the chocolate and place the pan over a low heat until the chocolate and butter have melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and add the sifted icing sugar, beating well until smooth. Spoon the icing over the top of each éclair, then leave to set.
 
Obviously, becasue I was doing this in the true spirit of The Great British Bake off, the recipe is one of Mary Berry's. I hope you enjoy this little bake of mine, and I''ll talk to you all on Tuesday.
Toodles,
EmilyBelleBlogs x
 
Instagram          Twitter          Bloglovin'         Facebook