Saturday, 8 February 2014

EmBakes// Cinnamon Sugar Biscuits

Hello Everybody,
It has been absolutely ages since I have done an EmBakes post, but since I have been drowning in catering coursework I haven't really had a chance to bake, but since I have now completed my practical exam I have been using my down time at weekends to bake more. Thus, the good news for you is that this series is back and better than ever. Today I am going to tell you how I made some Cinnamon Sugar Biscuits which were absolutely delicious.

Ingredients

  • 125g strong plain flour, plus extra for kneading.
  • 1/2tsp sea salt
  • 125g butter
  • about 5tbsp ice cold water
  • 2tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
  • a little beaten egg white

Equipment

  • silicone baking sheet
  • metal baking sheet
  • silicone pastry brush

Method

  1. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Roughly break the butter in small chunks, add them to bowl and rub them in lightly until the mixture resembles very coarse breadcrumbs. You will still be able to see bits of butter in the mixture at this stage.
  2. Make a well in the centre of the ingredients and pour in about 4tbsp of the cold water, mixing until you have a firm dough, adding extra water if needed. Cover and chill for about 20 minutes.
  3. Turn out onto a lightly floured board, knead gently and form into a smooth rectangle. Roll the dough, until you have a 12 x 6in rectangle. The butter should give the pastry a marbled effect.
  4. Fold the top third down to the centre, then the bottom third up and over that *as if you were folding a leaflet*. Give the dough a quarter turn (45 degrees) and roll out again until it reaches the original dimensions. (I went straight onto baking here, but that was because I was being lazy, if you want to do it just like me skip the next step).
  5. Fold as before and then repeat the rolling and folding 1 more time. Cover and chill for at least 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 190'c.
  6. Place the silicone sheet onto a baking sheet. Roll out pastry again until you have a rectangle that is 5 x 20in. Prick the pastry all over with a fork. Combine the sugar and cinnamon together. Brush the pastry all over with beaten egg white and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly over the pastry. Cut into 30 fingers. Place on the baking sheet, slightly spaced. 
  7. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until risen and golden. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  8. Finally, eat and enjoy, they taste amazing.
I have taken this recipe from the Baked and Delicious Magazine copy 77, but have adapted a few bits, just so you know that this is not my own recipe, but I wanted to share it with you because it was such a lovely one.
Toodles,
EmilyBelleBlogs x