Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Wisdom Wednesday #7

Hello Everybody,
This weeks Wisdom Wednesday post is going to be about smiling and generally being happy. I'm pretty sure we have all heard people say, "smile it's good for you" plenty of times in our lives, but if we truly think about it, we don't do it much do we?
Smiling to most people is something that you do when you are laughing at a funny joke or taking a selfie, but how often do we genuinely smile? The other day, sitting in the back of the car on the way to a relatives house whilst listening to music and watching the world wizz past me, I realised I was smiling. The smile was genuine because I didn't even realise I was doing it for the most past, I was enjoying every little thing. Then I looked around the rest of my car, everyone was expressionless, not because they were being miserable, because we were all in a pretty good mood. I then got thinking about how often people actually smile when there isn't anything massive to be smiling about.
Smiling lifts our moods, instantly makes people look more beautiful and makes other people feel good also. I'm not talking about those silly half smiles, I am talking about proper cheesy teethy smiles. Look in the mirror and smile at yourself, the face smiling back at you makes you feel good doesn't it? It's the same for if you do out in public, smiling at someone can instantly lift their spirits.
I'm not saying that your smile will have to be genuine at first, maybe it won't be. But the more you practice smiling the more likely it will become a real feeling. Research shows that smiling isn't a cause of happiness, but happiness is a cause of smiling, so what are you frowning at? Let the corners of you mouth turn up, your cheeks lift and your eyes crinkle, it is good for you.
Feeling happy isn't just restricted to our brain, our body can help enforce our happiness as well. Even Charles Darwin said,  “The free expression by outward signs of an emotion intensi­fies it” So I guess if you don't believe me, perhaps you will believe a very clever and famous scientist instead.
Being happy is healthy, it's good for your psychological health, thus why we should smile, because it makes us happy. This proves that smiling is good for you.
Toodles,
EmilyBelleBlogs x