Thursday, 30 October 2014

Embakes for Halloween!!

Hello Everybody,
It's been a while since I have done an Embakes post, but today I thought that as it is Halloween tomorrow and a lot of us are trying to think of things to take to our Halloween parties I would share a couple of my favourite Halloween recipes with you all. I am really excited about sharing these recipes because they are my favourite things to make at this time of the year, and of course when I write posts like these I can eat the food afterwards... well... kind of! I do have to save some of the offerings for a party I am going to tomorrow, but more on that another time.

Sausage Mummies

Ingredients

500g puff pastry
10 large hot dog sausages
1 egg
Yellow mustard to serve

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 190'c. Place a silicon sheet (or baking parchment if you haven't got one) on a metal baking sheet. Then roll out the puff pastry to thickness of 5mm onto a lightly floured surface. Then cut this into ten long strips.
2. Wrap the pastry strips around the sausages leaving a gap at the top of each so the mummies can see *yes, I am that kind, but you know, my pleasure*. This should look like the sausage is wrapped up in bandages, so if it doesn't you have probably gone wrong somewhere and may want to try again.
3. Beat the egg with a teaspoon of water and brush it over the pastry so that when they are baked they have a golden brown glazed look to them. Bake them in the oven for 15 minutes or until the pastry has risen and is golden. Allow to cool and then pipe on little mustard eyes, because that's cute and we don't want them to be too scary to eat.

Meringue Ghosts

Ingredients

250g icing sugar
4 egg whites
a little melted chocolate

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 140'c. Sift the icing sugar into a large heatproof bowl and add the egg whites. Stand the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until the mixture is very thick. Remove from the heat and continue whisking until cool.
2. Spoon the meringue mixture into a piping bag (you do not need to worry about a piping nozzle) and pipe the ghosts in a zig zag fashion onto a baking sheet, creating a larger blob at the beginning to form a head.
3. Bake for 1 hour, when done the meringues should be dry and lift off of the baking sheet easily, but shouldn't have started to colour.
4. Allow to cool and then pipe on some little chocolate eyes.

I hope you enjoyed this little post, happy baking and happy halloween.
Toodles,
EmilyBelleBlogs x