Wednesday, 22 July 2015

Words

Words, there are many of them, in fact there are about one million words in the English vocabulary, around 829,000 of which are in the Oxford Dictionary. I don't know all of them. Much like you will not know all of them either. However, there also words cropping up that aren't in the English dictionary, made up words, slang, lingo.
We are all made up of words, non-scientifically of course, because really we are made up of chemicals and particles. But it's strange how just one word can either really mean something to somebody, or sometimes really hurt somebody.
We as humans get labelled, labelled a lot. British schools aren't renowned for having cliques, and words like jocks and geeks floating around, describing other groups of people. However, cliques exist everywhere, some of which do not even make sense.
The other day whilst scrolling through my instagram I noticed a post that made me confused. It was a selfie (which is another trendy word) of a young girl, whom I assumed was the owner of said instagram account. It was captioned "I have decided not to be a pastel anymore". From my knowledge, pastel is a form of colour, such as light pink, sky blue and lilac. However, people are starting to use the word "pastel" as an adjective to describe themselves. How can a person be "A colour having a soft, subdued shade"? It doesn't make sense, but it seems to me adjectives used on the internet to describe oneself or another do not even have to make sense anymore.
As I said, everyone is labelled. Everyone is labelled both positively and negatively. Everyone is judged. Nobody can be who they want without being judged anymore. I used to find myself stuck as to knowing who I am. Was I girly? Was I sporty? Was I adventurous? But that's when I realised that I simply didn't care. If I am happy why does it matter who I am?
Sometimes, I feel as though these people who are "pastels" simply can't be enjoying life or being who they want to be. Sure, I could be judging. But, no one is the same. We don't all need to buy the cutest bath bomb from Lush or body scrub from Soap&Glory to fit in. We should buy things and even do things that make us happy, forgetting the fact that maybe there is a specific word that could label us, and that we might not be conforming to that by buying or doing something different to that expectation.
What gets me even more thoughtful by the prospect of words being who we are, is that we use such words to describe ourselves. We call ourselves "lazy", "perfectionists" or even "pastels". But why?
I am Emily, there is no one person with the same interests or life that I live to my knowledge, but I am happy. That is how everyone should be. We shouldn't be influenced by the media to be someone we are not.
Just be you. Be the person you want to be, not what anyone else says you have to be.
Toodles,
EmilyBelleBlogs x