Sunday, 10 January 2016

Revision Tips!

Hello Everybody,
I know I have done these types of posts before, whereby I tell you every single revision technique and tip I know, however, normally I time my posts for after exams... which is both pointless and not providing the help that I intend to provide when I am writing those posts. Today, therefore, I have decided to enlighten you with my revision tips now. This will give you time to put together a revision timetable (if you like to use them), buy the supplies you need and give you a head start to getting the best grade you can possibly get...

Don't just read it!!

Okay, fair enough, reading can help a little, but a lot? No! I know I sound like an old, boring teacher telling you this, but once you get to A Level standard at least, there is no way you are going to do as well as you want with just a little bit of reading.By writing down any key facts you are not only processing the information more then once, but you are also ensuring that you understand what you have just read. A lot of the times when we read, we might not actually be taking in the information and you would feel a little bit gutted if you got to the exam and then realised you didn't know how to explain a graph for example.

Use different methods.

It's easy to just sit there and write notes for hours on end- actually, that's a lie, it's not easy to do that for very long at all without getting bored. By trying different methods you can engage yourself for a little bit longer. For example, you might get bored of using flashcards for key words so instead if you go onto Quizlet you can create games with these key words. Although I do like to use flashcards, my other favourite revision technique for key words is to play word match, on Quizlet this is timed and you can try and beat your highscore, thus it is great for competitive people like myself.
I also, like to make posters, with LOTS OF COLOUR, and use colourful post-it notes to simplify information into a small space and stick them in places that I am most likely to look -on the fridge; on the back of the toilet door.
Other techniques that you could use include doing past papers and self-assessing them, this not only allows you to find out where you are most likely to need improvement, but to also get a grips of what the examiner is expecting from you. Also, reading the chief examiners report from the previous years is  really helpful, because you can find out where other candidates went wrong in previous years, so you do not make that mistake again.

My favourite methods:

  • Making posters with lots of colour.
  • Highlighting key points and then writing them into notes, followed by condensing those notes further.
  • Using mnemonics and acronyms to help me remember key concepts... rhyming and making songs also helps if you are a creative type.
  • Sticking post-its up around the house with the facts that I am most likely to forget.
  • Making even BIGGER posters, when I feel like an A4 sheet just isn't cutting it anymore I often revert to using A3 paper.
  • Using flashcards, I don't only use these for keywords I also use them for writing factors that I shouldn't be forgetting down.
  • Chew gum. I like to do this because it stops me from getting distracted by the thought of snacking, because you can't snack with a piece of gum in your mouth.
  • Listen to music. This isn't to everyone's taste, but for me putting my sound blocking headphones in and listening to fast paced music really helps me to switch off from the outside world and actually get some work done.

Did you know:

You can use whiteboard pens on mirrors, and they clean off perfectly fine? I often write on my mirrors information that I think I am going to forget. For me this works really well as I am quite a vain person, so whenever I want to look in a mirror I am faced with the information that I would have previously forgotten instead.

I hope these tips helped, and if you have any revision tips that myself or my readers may find helpful, then comment them down below.
Toodles,
EmilyBelleBlogs x