Wednesday, 6 July 2016

Embakes// Chocolate Birthday Cake Traybake

Hello Everybody,

The other day I held a poll on my twitter asking people what they liked to see from my blog and it seemed that my baking posts are actually the most enjoyed by many of you. This landed at quite a good time considering I was planning on baking my Dad a cake for his birthday which was last Thursday.

I wanted to keep his cake quite quick and easy but also thoroughly enjoyable, as I had limited time last week to bake and I also knew that as long as the cake contained some chocolate he would enjoy it anyway. This also meant the perfect opportunity for me to share this recipe with you guys, considering as it had become clear to me that you all seem to enjoy my Embakes posts.

So, without further ado, let's get on with the recipe...

Ingredients

for the cake
140g butter, plus extra for greasing
175g caster sugar
2 eggs
225g self-raising flour
50g  cocoa powder
1/4tsp baking powder
250g natural yoghurt

for decoration
300g icing sugar
2tbsp cocoa powder
1tbsp butter, melted (careful when you put it in the microwave... mine exploded).
3-4tbsp boiling water
2 tubes smarties

Method

  1. Heat the oven to 180'c. Grease and line your 18 x 28cm cake tin (or if you have a silicone one just grease it). Put the butter and sugar into a bowl; beat together with an electric hand beater, or standing mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well between each addition.
  2. Sieve the flour, cocoa, and baking powder into the bowl. Pour in the natural yoghurt. Stir everything into a smooth mixture and spoon into the prepared tin, smoothing the top down to make it level. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cake is just firm and shrinking away from the sides of the tin. Cool the cake in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  3. For the icing, sieve the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl, then pour in the butter and 2tbsp just-boiled water. Stir together to a smooth, spreadable consistency. If it's too stiff, very carefull add a little more boiling water, drop by drop.
  4. Spread the icing over the top of the cake, using a palette knife dipped in hot water, and then complete the decoration with Smarties scattered all over the top of the cake.
  5. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this little baking post and I will see you tomorrow.
Emily x