Monday, 11 July 2016

James Bay at Thetford Forest

Hello Everybody,

If you haven't been following me on Instagram then you may not be aware that myself and a few of my friends took a road trip to Norfolk to see one of our favourite artists, James Bay. We went to see James Bay previously in October, which if you remember was the concert whereby Ed Sheeran made a surprise performance and pretty much every girl there had a meltdown. This concert, however, was quite different. Firstly, it was outside which meant that everybody was standing and that there was a larger risk of getting drenched with rain. Secondly, there seemed to be a much larger audience than previously. This concert was a sellout, so, sure enough, I was pretty convinced the James would put on one hell of a show.

This time, quite by accident, my friends and I arrived early. We'd already stopped at ASDA on the way to grab food supplies as we knew we'd be out for most of the day and wanted to keep ourselves hydrated and fed. As we arrived very early we were actually sat outside the gates of the venue in Thetford Forest for quite some time. But, this made the experience a whole lot more exciting, listening to the bustle of fans as they eagerly anticipated the moment the gates opened. Not only that, but we could here the man of the moment doing his soundcheck before his big entrance onto the stage. It was actually slightly strange being able to here James Bay have a normal conversation with his colleagues essentially and realise that he, like most others, is also a perfectionist and wanted to ensure that every one of his songs was right for his fans.



I was excited, with a little bubble of nervousness also filling the pit of my stomach as my friends enthusiastically plotted how we were going to make a run for it as the gates opened to ensure that we get to the front. I don't know why I am like this every time I go to a concert. For some reason, I expect some aggressive moshing down at the front of all concerts when in truth James Bay concerts are not at all like that. Of course, there are a few obnoxious individuals (more on that later) but in reality, most people down the front are just excited fans who want to get up close to someone whom they respect and enjoy listening to.

 James Bay also had a support act, as all concerts these days have. The band which performed were a trio from Portland, Oregon in the USA. They had a unique sound, and it also made it more special that these girls are also sisters, so much of the music they have written is very close to all of their hearts. I thought, in case you wanted to listen to some of their music I would also put their latest music video down below. The song is called White Flag, which I feel is a very empowering song which is great for a time when there is so much hate and hurt in the world.



Then it came to the man himself, James Bay. James performed all of his best songs, including Craving, Let it Go and Best Fake Smile. He saved his best hit Hold Back the River until the end which was a very special moment for all. My personal favourite song of the evening had to be Move Together. My friends and I all had our arms around each other and were swaying to the rhythm of the music. It was a very moving performance indeed, and a tear was definitely shed from a few of us. I think I personally, after an emotional week of finally finishing school needed a moment like this with some of my closest friends. It was very special indeed.

Another favourite moment of mine was when James sang Incomplete. He asked everybody to do "that cliché thing" where we all turned on our flashlights on our mobiles and put them in the air. It looked magical, and I truly believe from where he was standing it must have looked incredible. I will continue to remember that moment. It was a very special evening indeed.



I thought I would finish this post with a little picture that was also taken from James' tweet. If you look close enough you may actually see me (clue: I'm in a bright pink raincoat... fashionista as ever!).

See you tomorrow,
Emily x